Thursday 1 January 2015

Cuerdon Valley Park

Happy New year!
For new year day as a tradition my parents, my sister and I go on a walk. Usually we go to Beacon Fell, Brock Bottoms or Trough of Bowland. However this year my dad decided to take us someone new and different, Cuerdon Valley Park.
 
 
There wasn't much wildlife there but there were many dog walkers around. It was also raining, so at them time it didn't feel a good place to start new years off. But don't get me wrong, it was good to visit a new place. It is run by the wildlife trust and is surrounded by fields and small woods. There are two ponds and I managed to see quite a lot of old nests.
To kick of the bird year list I saw; Robin, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Long Tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, Great Crested Grebe and Buzzard. I also found a Tawny Owl feather.
 
As we walked round we came to two stone walls forming a three foot wide walkway. A lady told us that the people who had lived in Cuerdon Hall had the walls built, so that they couldn't see the commoners walking to the market.
 

It had been renovated by some lottery money, however nature is fighting back. Moss, ferns and fungi filled the holes in the wall.As it was raining we had our picnic in the car. It was a good day, but unfortunately I don't think we are going to go back. They are having a bird watching walk with a local bird expert David Beattie on the 18th January at 1pm. He his giving a walk and talking about the winter birds around the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment