Thursday 25 December 2014

Last december outings

I am new to blogging, but have decided to have a go so I can share some of the fun things I do and find.
Yesterday, my Granddad and I went to the docks for a birding trip out. There wasn't much about, however the two usual Great Crested Grebes where showing their very striking winter plumage and diving in the basin. There was also the familiar mallards, along with a domestic and over 150 black headed gulls.

It was a good day except from the terrible sight at the lock gates. The tide had brought in a huge amount of material. Unfortunately the material was not natural, it was full of man made rubbish i.e. Plastic bottles, footballs, tennis balls, fridges and general waste.

The amount of rubbish was in such the amount, that it made the water look like it had a floating land mass. The thing is, the amount of rubbish there, could be the same amount or more of the rubbish that floated down the other side of the river. I need to try and get something done about it. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

However, the wildlife was still about, pied wagtails, cormorants, moorhens and  a few 20+ teal. I went on my usual walk down the river bank, searching for anything which could have been washed up. I found the usual sheep bones, including a part of the skull with a few teeth, a couple of rabbit bones, whelk shells and a black headed gull skull.


There was also an unusual item which had been washed ashore. It was cast iron and really heavy. The shape made it go to a point, but there was some strange markings on both sides of the item. They were hatch markings along the edges of the sides. Something like the veins on a leaf.

I have absolutely no idea what it is, however i have some ideas. It could be off a ship, something to tie rope around and the hatch markings create more friction, however the shape of it doesn't seem right for that, plus its really heavy.
It could also be off a wheel or a door, but seriously i have no idea. If anyone does have any ideas, get in touch and maybe we can figure this out. It would be great to know.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Hope you get what you want :)

No comments:

Post a Comment